My name is Julianna, and I have been accepted to the Disneyland College Program for Fall 2015! I am beyond thrilled for this adventure, and so honored to be in one of three programs (including the summer alumni term) that will be working at Disneyland during its 60th Anniversary. Since I’m more eloquent over text than on video, I’ve decided to make this blog to supplement my fledgling YouTube channel. I also figure that this will be easier to keep up with during my program (though I am determined to get better at vlogging by my check-in date in August.)
Here are some random facts about me, so we can become official internet friends!
1. I was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. I still live there (here?) with my family, and the College Program will be my first time ever living away from home. I am in love with my city, but the recent techie gentrification scene makes me sad.
2. I am a senior at the San Francisco Conservatory of Music, where I will be receiving a Bachelor of Music degree in Vocal Performance. Basically, I sing classical art songs and opera. For my major we are required to take at least one year each of French, Italian, and German, so I’m pretty proficient at learning foreign languages!
3. I am diagnosed with a couple of anxiety and depressive disorders, which I thankfully now have regulated and under control to the point where they no longer hold me back. I am a huge advocate for reducing the stigma behind mental illness and its treatment, so I have gotten myself accustomed to sharing my stories with other people who struggle with anxiety or depression, or who just want to learn about them. Last year was a hard time for me as I was just becoming acquainted with my diagnoses, and that just makes this new journey even more meaningful and amazing to me.
4. I am a children’s party entertainer, and I think it’s pretty much the best job in the world. I get to make magic for kids every weekend, face paint and make balloon animals, perform magic, and sing! I will definitely miss it while I’m in Anaheim (but not too much).
5. It’s sort of impossible for me to name one favorite genre of music. Some of my absolute favorite artists are Radiohead, System of a Down, Kimya Dawson, Belle & Sebastian, Nirvana, The White Stripes, The Dresden Dolls, Matthew Santos, Muse, Lupe Fiasco, The Beatles, and OF COURSE Queen Bey! Plus classical, musical theater and, naturally, Disney music.
6. I love to read and write. My favorite authors are Chuck Palahniuk and Haruki Murakami, but I love me some young adult novels, too! Harry Potter and A Series of Unfortunate Events are the definition of my childhood (Daniel Handler a.k.a. Lemony Snicket went to my high school, ndb). I love The Hunger Games and the Uglies, Pretties, Specials trilogy.
7. My mom is from Poland, and she escaped communism by traveling on a work visa – IN THE CIRCUS. Yeah, she was in the circus as a dancer and elephant rider. Not exactly a fact about me, but it’s pretty amazing and at last I hopefully have a (potential) opportunity to make my twenties as exciting as hers were!
8. Disneyland is literally my favorite place in this universe. Maybe that’s a given for a lot of College Program participants, but I never get tired of saying it. My friends and family know that I (allegedly) will only accept a marriage proposal at the Happiest Place on Earth because any man who deserves to marry me should know me well enough to know that! Snow White’s wishing well and/or behind the castle on the Fantasyland side and/or by the Storybook Canals and/or while I’m sobbing through Fantasmic plz
9. I’m a little obsessive about things smelling good. I’d be lying if I said that I weren’t upset about candles not being allowed in Disney housing, but I’m really excited to find room scents that my roommates and I all like, in the forms of reed diffusers or plug-ins or something (nerd alert?)
10. I can lick my elbow, shake my eyeballs, and put my legs behind my head but please don’t ask me to do that last one.
Thanks for reading everyone, and I can’t wait to post more about my journey to the DCP!
You can also check out my YouTube channel, Julianna’s DCP, or my Instagram @julianna.kochana.
Have a magical day! ❤